couples with young children
Building Couple Time Tip:
How helping your partner to recharge can help keep your love alive in your couple relationship.
Individuals and couples with young children may feel frustrated and overwhelmed with so much of their energy going into taking care of their children, whether that be at home or working to provide for the family.
This can leave people feeling resentful and tired. What can be done?
I remember when our son came along and how there never seemed to be enough time for my husband and I to have any down time for ourselves. After speaking to a colleague she told me to try carving out individual time once a week. We each got to pick a time in the week that was our individual time, so no matter how stressful the week was, we each new we would eventually get time to ourselves.
There were times I didn’t want to leave my family, and didn’t even know where I was going, but I knew I had to leave to recharge my batteries! I usually would end up at Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, or hanging out with friends. I knew I had to leave because by recharging, I was able to be a better mom, wife and a better me.
The key is to pick a consistent, weekly time that works for each of you, even if it’s just a few hours.
How does this help keep your love alive?
- When partners recharge themselves they have a lot more positive and loving energy to contribute back to the marriage/relationship.
- Individuals feel more gratitude towards their partner for taking care of the baby/children.
- Dads get more one-on-one, bonding time with the baby/children when Mom’s away.
- Just the fact that you know that no matter how tough the week may be, that you have your downtime to look forward to. What a relief!
- It can help you feel more like a couple team, fueling a positive attitude of gratitude that your partner has your back.
There are many ways to take time for yourself to recharge your batteries from a hectic week. This tip focuses on supporting your partner and taking time for yourself to have some downtime.
Please feel free to experiment and notice how rejuvenated and grateful each of you feel when you have some alone time, knowing your partner has your back, and how this can help keep your love alive in your couple relationship as a result.
Please comment below on how you took time to recharge and how this benefited your relationship. Thanks for sharing with our Building Couple Time Community!